Thursday, July 7, 2011

Potty Training

We decided to start potty-training Alexander last week. Until today, we've tried using the potty twice - both times I put him there because he looked like he was "straining" (you can always tell when he's making something in the diaper...). Both times he just sat there and played with whatever he could reach. He didn't know what it is, and what he is supposed to do "on" it. That's alright, I thought, it's a bit early anyway.

This morning, while eating breakfast, he showed signs that he was ready to go. So I took him out of his high chair, undressed him, and put him on the potty. Again, he was looking around curiously. He removed the pee blocker thing and started playing with it. He looked like he was having fun, so I walked away for a couple minutes thinking that maybe he would be able to "concentrate" better without anyone around (In retrospect, that was really not a safe thing to do, since the bathroom is not baby-proofed yet. That'll be on the to-do list for this weekend... or rather, Brian's to-do list...). When I went back to check on him, he was just walking out of the bathroom. He saw me, and then tried to close the bathroom door behind him. He had an... anxious (?) look on his face. I thought that maybe he got bored, or maybe he just didn't want to sit there by himself. I walked closer to hold his hand, and then I smelled something... I peeked inside the bathroom, and saw that the potty lid was down. I opened it, and there it was, evidence for his first successful potty training episode!

I was so surprised. I don't know if I was more amazed at the fact that he actually did it, or that he closed the lid on his own after he was done. Though it could've been an attempt to cover up his making, which explains the upset look he had when I first saw him - he probably thought that he did something wrong! I gave him a big hug and plenty of compliments. Once he understood that I wasn't upset, he clapped his hands like I did, looking very proud of himself.

So I guess we have to keep going now with the training, no more slacking off. ;) I think the peeing part would actually be more difficult. I have no idea how to train him to pee in the potty. But then, I had no idea how to train him to do the other thing either, and he did it after only 2 attempts. Now if only I could train him to wash the potty after he is done... :)

3 comments:

  1. Good job Alexander! For the peeing part, just let him go commando the entire day (since it's summer. it's the best time). He'll probably pee on himself the first time and do not like the feeling. That's when you tell him that when he has that tingly feeling.. to go to the bathroom. I've seen it work myself! try do dedicate a whole weekend for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haahaa, thanks! But with boys, wouldn't they just spray all over the house...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the test i saw was with a boy. no spraying i heard ... not even a drop on the floor. apparently he knew something was coming. :)

    ReplyDelete