Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chicken Smoothie

Alexander has been eating "solids" for more than a month now. According to Baby 411, he should be ready for some meat in his diet. This past weekend, we went to Wegmans and bought some organic chicken breast and organic beef sirloin. At $10.99/lb, I had great hope that he'd like his new food.

Today is the debut for the pureed meat diet. I ground the chicken breast, and then boiled the ground chicken in water. Once it's cooked and cooled, I pureed the meat, using a little bit of the water that I cooked the chicken in (I had the rest of the soup for breakfast...). I don't know if I added too much soup or if I pureed it for too long, the chicken "puree" looked more like chicken smoothie...


Oh well. Chicken smoothie is still chicken, right? It smelled good anyway. So I started feeding him. Despite my enthusiasm, after the first spoonful...

"Eh...? What the...?"


Not a fan? Let's try again...


"No, I don't want it anymore!"


I think he hated it! I tried offering it to him again. He hesitated but opened his mouth anyway. This time he actually gagged and then threw up! Was it that bad? :( I tasted it myself, and realized that, though it tasted good (IMO), the smoothie was not smooth at all. It was very grainy. In fact, it was like eating sand soup. No wonder he didn't like it. I guess I'll need to do some reading to figure out what I did wrong. I have a feeling that I was supposed to cook it in slow fire for 10 hours or something! Argh.

The chicken smoothie debut is now declared a failure. Maybe I'll see if Brian wants the rest of it when he gets home. :D


1 comment: